With St Patrick's Day right around the corner everyone is thinking green. Have you heard the saying, "On St Patrick's Day everyone is Irish" - well, I believe it! St Patrick's Day is such a "fun" day with parades, parties and of course the drinking of the "green beer" at all the bars and Irish pubs. When you're surrounded by all the festivites and everyone is having a great time, you find yourself wishing you were Irish. I'm telling you those Irish folk sure know how to have a good time! Just in case you're not of Irish decent but would like to be on March 17, here are a few Irish fun facts for you to know:
- St Patrick - the patron Saint of Ireland who is credited with bringing Christianity to the Island. He used the shamrock with its three leaf clovers to teach the Irish about the Holy Trinity.
- The Luck of the Irish - if you have good luck one day you can expect bad luck the next
- Kissing the Blarney Stone - a stone set in the wall of the Blarney Castle in the Irish village of Blarney. Kissing the stone is supposed to bring the kisser the gift of persuasive eloquence.
- Erin Go Bragh - Ireland Forever
- Leprechaun - an Irish fairy, often dressed as a shoemaker.
- Irish Pubs - ale is ordered by pints and quarts. So in Old England when customers got unruly the bartender used to yell at them to mind their pints and quarts and settle down - hence the saying "mind your own P's and Q's".