A Guide to Life Costumes and the Work of Shakespeare
It has been said that the pen is mightier than the sword. The written word can paint a vivid picture that can bring the reader into a different world. If that is true one of the mightiest wordsmiths that ever lived was the English born William Shakespeare who was a renowned poet and playwright.
Shakespeare was born in 1564 in the town of Stratford-upon-Avon, to John and Mary Shakespeare. From an early age, Shakespeare started to gain an appreciation for the theatre. While in his twenties he began writing stories for the theatre and started to get his name noticed by the public. From modest beginnings in the world of English theatre, he would quickly become one of the most famous writers in history. His works were produced at the famous Globe Theatre as well as others around the world.
William Shakespeare, also known as the Bard of Avon, began writing plays, stories, poems and sonnets that would be come famous throughout the world. Over his career, Shakespeare produced famous stories such as "Romeo and Juliet", "Macbeth", "A Mid Summer's Night Dream" and "Hamlet". These works are among the most famous works of all time and are over four hundred years later are still being performed by theatre troupes all over the world. All told, William Shakespeare is responsible for producing hundreds of works of literature. This has helped make his the most famous English playwright.
At the age of 18, Shakespeare married Anne Hathaway. He and Hathaway had two daughters and one son. They remained married until his death in 1616 at the age of 52. Even though Shakespeare died at a relatively early age, during a 30 year writing career he created plays that have been seen and performed for centuries. The lavish costumes and staging of a Shakespeare play aptly portrays England during the Elizabethan Era.
To understand the work and life of William Shakespeare, please feel free to review the following information. We hope that it helps give you a better understanding of the Bard of Avon.
- Shakespeare's Biography - Useful information about the life of the famed bard from the Shakespeare Resource Center.
- A Biography of Shakespeare - In this article from the European Graduate School you will get an overview on the life of the famed writer.
- Shakespeare's Life - Information and biographical look at the life of Shakespeare.
- William Shakespeare Timeline - Chronological listing of the major events in the life of the famous author.
- The Life of Shakespeare - Helpful page with information about the life of the English poet.
The Works of Shakespeare
- The Complete Works of William Shakespeare - Informative page which has the complete works of the famed author.
- Shakespeare's Plays - Useful collection of information about the plays of Shakespeare.
- List of Plays - Information about the various plays of Shakespeare organized by genre.
- Background on Shakespeare's Works - A helpful web page which contains background information on his work.
- Plays of Shakespeare - In this page you will find information on the various works of Shakespeare.
The Globe Theatre
- Shakespeare's Globe - Official web site of the London home of the famed theatre.
- History of the Globe Theatre - Helpful page which chronicles the history of the old Globe Theatre.
- The Globe Theatre - Information and history of the world famous theatre.
- History of the Globe - Useful web page which provides a look at the famous Shakespeare theatre.
- Globe Theatre History - In this article you will get a historical look at the famous theatre.
Costumes and Staging
- Costuming Ideas - Informative publication which outlines the costumes of the works of Shakespeare. (pdf)
- Globe Theatre Costumes - Historical look at the costuming of the plays at the theatre.
- Stage Costumes and Props - In this page you will get a sense of the costumes and props used during the time of Shakespeare.
- Costumes and Disguise - Useful page which looks at the use of various costumes and disguise in plays.
- Shakespeare's Staging - Brief outline of the styles of staging during the works of Shakespeare.
England in Elizabethan Time
- Description of Elizabethan England - A helpful page which provides a description of the Elizabethan era in England.
- Elizabethan Era - In this page from Princeton University you will get an overview of this time period.
- Race and Color - This page offers a look at race and color during the Elizabethan time frame.
- Elizabethan Theatre - Information on the theatre during the Elizabethan era.
- Elizabethan Theater - Useful web page that looks at the stage work during the Elizabethan era.
- Shakespeare Resources - Page which includes a number of useful resources about the famed writer.
- William Shakespeare Resources - Informative collection of links about the great wordsmith.
- PBS Resources - In this page from PBS you will find resources about Shakespeare.
- Resources for Educators - Listing of many helpful web sites about the life of Shakespeare.
- Online Resources for Teachers - Helpful page with information and resources that can be used by teachers.