Labor Day is a holiday that always feels just a little bittersweet. On the one hand, what’s not to love about another wonderful three-day weekend? The flip side is that Labor Day has always been the symbolic end to summer and if your kids haven’t gone back to school yet, surely Labor Day marks the last hurrah before they do. The great news is that there is plenty of fun to be had this Labor Day, which means great memories to be made…so get out and enjoy! Here are some ideas to get you going!
- Stay-cation. You really don’t have to go very far from home to get the feeling that you are really getting away from it all. Make some plans, and then go see your own hometown through a tourist’s eyes. Go visit some of the local sites that you probably have taken for granted, and perhaps even drive by on a regular basis. Want to take your Stay-cation one step further? Book a room at your local hotel--it will make you feel like you are really on vacation, even if you are just minutes from home.
- Have a Beach Day. Head to the ocean if you can. The weather is still hot and fabulous; take the opportunity to get your toes in the sand one more time before the summer is over.
- Find a Park. Whether you head to your local state park or even just to a local neighborhood park--Labor Day weekend is a great time to pack a picnic and get outdoors for some serious family fun.
- Take a Dive. There are some activities that are always going to be much more fun when the weather is hot and steamy. Get to your local watering hole or swimming pool and make the best of it while you still can!
- Bike Riding. Explore your locality via bicycle. Your community likely has bike paths or trails that you may not even have known about!
- Dining. There is something both romantic and sexy about summer dining, especially when you can enjoy delicious foods outdoors on a breezy patio while watching the sun go down!
- Movies. Are there still some of those summer blockbusters that you haven’t seen yet? There is no time like the present to head to an air conditioned theatre for some exciting cinematic entertainment!
- County Fairs. Many local county fairs are still going on in full throttle. Head to the local county fair to see animals, go on a few crazy rides and experience the local delicious summertime fare.
- Art Festivals. If you are into the arts, check into nearby art festivals that may be running through the Labor Day weekend. Local artisans will display their wares and perusing the artwork is an activity any art lover will not want to miss!
- Outdoor Concerts. Music under the stars is a summertime activity that should not be missed!
- Cookouts. One of the most traditional activities of summer is the tried and true family barbecue. Hamburgers, hotdogs, chicken--grab the kids and send summer off with a Labor Day feast!
- Sporting Events. Tennis, Golf, NASCAR, fishing, baseball and even rodeo. Need we say more? Labor Day weekend is a great time to catch your favorite athletes in action.
- Wine and Cheese. Check out your local winery or wine bar for a Labor Day wine tasting event they may be sponsoring. It’s a great way to try new wine varieties and when enjoyed with friends, these events can be a great way to have some serious fun.
- Explore Astronomy. Summer’s clear and warm nights create the perfect opportunity for novice star gazers to get out and look deeply into the nighttime sky. Go someplace out of the way where there is less interference from city lights. Bring something warm to wear and don’t forget to bring your binoculars or telescope!
- Shop for Deals. Labor Day has all the makings of shopping paradise. Great deals abound as retailers are trying to get rid of the last of summertime gear to make room for fall and winter merchandise.
No matter what you choose to do this Labor Day, make it memorable and make it fun. Bidding a final adieu to summer doesn’t have to be painful!
Happy Labor Day from your friends at Halloween Express!