Okay, my party-loving friends, pay attention! Mardi Gras is one of those funky holidays that happens on a different day every year. Some years it is in February and some years Mardi Gras falls in March. Why the big difference? Let’s try and simplify this for you. Mardi Gras (or Fat Tuesday) is always celebrated the day before Ash Wednesday. Ash Wednesday is always marked forty days before Easter. Easter is always celebrated on the first Sunday following the Paschal full moon. Anyway, that was just a long-winded way of saying that Mardi Gras is coming early this year--so it’s time to start planning that Mardi Gras party…now!
You don’t have to live in New Orleans (or Rio...or anywhere exotic) to fully experience the spirit of Mardi Gras. Essentially, Mardi Gras has always been a time to eat, drink and be merry before the traditional days of fasting that go along with Lent. Whether you are a devout religious follower or not, there simply is no better excuse to party than Mardi Gras. Although traditionally a religious holiday, these days, Mardi Gras is enjoyed on a secular basis by the masses. And why not? Mardi Gras (or Carnival) is renowned the entire world over for being one of the best parties ever. It’s also the perfect excuse to let one’s hair down and have some serious party-animal style fun.
So, what do you really need to have a fantastic Mardi Gras style party? Well, your Mardi Gras style event can be as simple or as elaborate as you choose to make it. There are, however, some essentials that are going to make your Mardi Gras party simply ROCK!
• Masks. Masks are an essential and traditional accessory for any Mardi Gras bash. Hundreds of years ago, masks were worn during Mardi Gras to conceal one’s identity during a time of (what might be construed as) naughty or questionable behavior. Nowadays, Mardi Gras masks are primarily worn just for fun and to get into the spirit of the event.
• Costumes. Dressing up in a costume is another essential part of Mardi Gras fun. The traditional colors of Mardi Gras are bright green, gold and purple. Outlandish use of these colors in any form is appropriate for Mardi Gras. Dressing in costume looks such as Clowns, Jesters, Flappers, Kings, or Queens is perfect! The truth is, pretty much any costume with lots of feathers, beads, crazy hat or wild makeup will do just as well.
• Makeup. If you have ever had a hankering to go simply crazy with makeup, Mardi Gras would be the time. A Mardi Gras party is perfect for face painting, lots of glittery makeup, huge false eyelashes, or any other pull-out-all-the-stops makeup look that you may be wanting to try. Ladies and Gents, it’s time to get creative.
• Hats. Besides masks, hats are another important accessory that will help you to get you into your Mardi Gras groove. How about a glittery top hat or a feathery Flapper headband? You will find out very quickly that using wild headwear is a super easy way to get your Mardi Gras look going on in a hurry.
• Beads…etc. Accessories at a Mardi Gras party are absolutely essential! You are going to want to have plenty of parade-style throws for your guests. These accessory items might include traditional Mardi Gras style beads, doubloons (coins), confetti, glitter, feathers, etc.
Mardi Gras 2015 is February 17th. Start making your plans now for what could be the biggest night of celebrating--ever!