A Safety Guide to Halloween and Costumes for Kids and Parents
As a kid you look forward to special days throughout the year. They include your birthday, end of the school year, and especially Halloween. Halloween is the one day of the year where you get dressed up in a costume and go door to door and receive treats. The treats that you get range from healthy snacks such as apples or other types of fruit to chocolate candy. A good day at Halloween can provide you with weeks worth of fun snacks to eat!
However, Halloween can also be a potentially dangerous time for kids. While commercial costumes that kids use for Halloween are designed with safety in mind, sometimes they can limit visibility of children. This reduction in sight lines can prevent kids from seeing cars, sidewalks and other possible dangers in the street. Therefore, it is important for kids and parents to select a costume that allows the children to see, as well as be seen.
In addition, while the vast majority of the treats that kids receive at Halloween are safe to eat, it is very important that parents review what kids bring home from their night of trick-or-treating before kids start to eat the candy. Parents need to make sure that the candy that their kids have collected has not been tampered with. So, parents should review all candy to make sure it remains sealed, and that kids do not have any problems.
To help parents and kids learn more about the history and traditions of Halloween, and how they can be safe while enjoying this fun holiday, please feel free to review the following information and resources. And...Happy (and safe) Halloween!
Brief History of Halloween
- Fantasy and Folklore of All Hallows - Informative resource from the Library of Congress about the history of Halloween.
- The Origins of Halloween - This article lists the history and origins of the day known as Halloween.
- Halloween History for Kids - A useful article from Time for Kids that lists the history behind the day.
- Halloween History Lesson Plan - In this educational page you will find resources and ideas on how to present the history of Halloween.
- Brief History of Halloween - Helpful page which provides a summary of the origins of the holiday.
- The Traditions of Halloween - Article which outlines and origins of the day as well as some of the traditions.
- Traditions for the Family - In this article from Parents magazine covers some of the family traditions.
- The English Traditions of Halloween - A fun article that outlines some of the English traditions at Halloween time.
- Halloween Customs - Information and background facts on the customs of the day.
- Fun Facts About Halloween - Helpful article that looks at 40 fun facts about the holiday.
- Halloween Safety Tips - Informative page from the CDC which discusses health and safety ideas.
- Safety Tips - Useful article from the National Fire Protection Association which advises kids on how to be safe.
- Tips for Selecting Costumes - This government page offers consumers advice on how to select safe costumes for kids.
- Tips for Safety Tips from the DC Police - In this article from the Washington D.C. Police Department offers ideas on how to be safe.
- Costume Safety Tricks - A Consumer Reports article that lists tricks to keep kids costumes safe.
Night Time Safety
- Fun and Safety Information - This government page offers information and resources on how to be safe at night during Halloween.
- Safety Tips - Useful page from Safe Kids Worldwide that provides advice on keeping kids safe while dark.
- Driving Safety Tips - Helpful page for drivers on what to watch for while driving at night during Halloween.
- Safety Tips for Pets - Web page which gives pet owners advice on how to keep pets safe.
- Halloween Safety Tips - This page provides advice for safety in a variety of topics.
Tips for Kids
- Kids Health - This page offers guidance for kids on being safe and having fun.
- Mayo Clinic Tips - Helpful advice from the Mayo Clinic on how to keep kids safe during this day.
- Kids Halloween Safety Tips - Tips and advice on a variety of subjects on safety.
- New York State Police Advice - Informative publication that provides advice on being safe.
- Kids Safety Tips - Web page that gives kids tips on being safe while trick-or-treating.
Tips for Parents
- Tips for Families - This helpful page gives useful tips for families about Halloween safety.
- Food Safety Tips - The FDA has written this page for parents on food safety during this day.
- Halloween Safety - The National Safety Council has provided this resourceful page for parents.
- Halloween Safety Tips - Publication for parents to provide tips to keep everyone safe.
- Police Safety Advice - The San Jose Police Department has written this useful page with helpful safety tips.