WIG CARE & STYLING TIPS
Today costume wigs are not only a part of everyday life for use on movie sets and stages, but they are a big part of dressing up for Halloween and other costume events. If you've purchased a wig to compliment your costume look, your wig may require additional styling to achieve the desired look. Below are some tips and easy to use techniques to assist you both in styling and cleaning your wig.
Tips for Styling Your Wig
- When you take your wig out of the packaging hold onto the inner wig cap and lightly shake it to loosen the wig. Do not do this if the wig is already pinned into a specific style. This is good for long wavy or curly wigs.
- Remove tangles with your fingers and gently brush your wig. The only exception is wigs that are very curly - don’t attempt to brush them.
- If your wig is frizzy or has static cling, use a dryer sheet to smooth down the fly away hairs.
- Do not use styling tools with heating elements as this will damage the synthetic fiber. Use cool temperature styling tools, plastic curlers, and hairspray as recommended.
- If needed you can purchase a separate nylon wig cap to help hold your own hair in place. This is recommended for individuals with long hair.
Wig Care Instructions
- Fill a basin with cool water (hot water can damage your wig), mix a little bit of mild shampoo into it and place your wig in the water. Leave it to soak for about 5 minutes.
- Swirl your wig around in the water, but don’t rub the fibers. Be gentle!
- Rinse your wig under cool running water
- Shake excess water off your wig and spread it on a towel to dry. Alternatively, you can put it on a wig stand.
- Remember you can’t use a blow dryer on a synthetic wig, so place your wig in a warm room with good ventilation and let it dry naturally
- Brush your wig when it is completely dry (not wet) and it is ready to wear again. Again, don’t brush wigs that are very curly.
- Wash only as often as you need to. This will prolong the life of your wig.